Matthew 4 (17.5 KiB, 240 hits)
Matthew 4 is now also available as a free Smashwords Ebook in a variety of Ebook formats
You may view a video reading of Matthew 4 here
Last updated 20th March 2012
1. Then Jesus was led up by the Holy Spirit into a desert place to be tested by the devil.
2. He fasted for forty days and forty nights. After this, He was hungry.
3. Then the tempter came to Him and said:
“If You are the Son of God, command these stones to become bread.”
4. Jesus however answered him in reply:
“It is written in the Scriptures that:
“People should not exist by eating bread alone, but also by consuming every word that proceeds from God’s mouth.””
5. Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, and set Him on a tower of the Temple.
6. The devil said to Him:
“If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down from here, for it is written in the Scriptures that:
“He shall make His angels look after You, and they shall rescue You in their hands, so that You will not even bruise Your foot against any stone.””
7. Jesus said to him:
“It is also written in the Scriptures that
“You must not deliberately take the Lord your God for granted.””
8. After this, the devil again took Him up onto an extremely high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glories of each one.
9. And he said to Him:
“I will give You all these things, if You will fall to Your knees and worship me.”
10. Then Jesus said to him:
“Get away from Me, Satan, for it is written in the Scriptures:
“You must worship the Lord your God, and serve Him and Him alone.””
11. Then the devil left Him, and angels came and looked after Him.
12. Now when Jesus heard that John had been thrown into prison, He left to go into Galilee.
13. He left Nazareth, and He went and lived in Capernaum, which is on the sea coast, on the borders of Zebulun and Naphtali.
14. He did this so that the prophecy of the Prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled, which says:
15. “The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, along the sea, beyond the Jordan, in Galilee of the Gentiles;
16. The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light, and a light has dawned for the people who sat in the region and the shadow of death.”
17. From that time Jesus began to preach, saying:
“Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is almost here.”
18. Jesus, while He was walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brothers: Simon, who was also called Peter, and his brother Andrew. They were throwing a net into the sea, for they were fishermen.
19. Jesus said to them:
“Follow Me, and I will teach you to catch people, instead of fish.”
20. They immediately left their nets, and followed Him.
21. And moving on from there, He saw two other brothers: James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, in a boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and He called them,
22. Then they immediately left the boat and their father, and they followed Him.
23. Then Jesus went round and about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the Good News of the Kingdom, and healing all kinds of sicknesses and all kinds of diseases among the people.
24. News about Him spread throughout all of Syria, and people brought to Him all sick people who were sick with various types of diseases and painful conditions, and people who were possessed by evil spirits, and people with psychiatric problems, and people who were paralysed, and He healed them.
25. Great crowds of people followed Him, from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judea, and from beyond the Jordan.