Matthew 2 (17.0 KiB, 189 hits)
This is also now available as a free Ebook for download in a number of ebook formats from Smashwords:
A video reading of Matthew 2 is available here
Last updated 26th March 2012
1. Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem in the province of Judea during the reign of Herod the king, wise men came from the East to Jerusalem.
2. They asked:
“Where is He that has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the east, and we have come to worship Him.”
3. When Herod the king heard this question, he became worried, and so did the rest of Jerusalem with him.
4. And when he had called an assembly of all the Chief Priests and Scribes of the people, he demanded that they should tell him where the Messiah would be born.
5. And they said to him:
“In Bethlehem of Judea, for this is what the prophet has written:
6. “You, Bethlehem in Judah, are not the least of the rulers of Judah, for a Ruler shall arise from you, who will be a Shepherd for My people Israel.””
7. Then Herod secretly called the wise men, and carefully asked them what time the star appeared.
8. And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said:
“Go and search carefully for the young Child; and when you have found Him, send me a message to let me know, so that I might also come and worship Him.”
9. When they had heard the king, they departed from there, and the star, which they had seen in the east, led the way before them, until it came to rest over where the young Child was staying.
10. When they saw the star, they were extremely joyful.
11. And when they had come into the house, they saw the Child with Mary, His mother, and they fell on their knees and worshipped Him. Then they opened their treasures, and they presented to Him gifts of gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
12. God warned them in a dream that they should not return to Herod, so they returned to their own country by another route.
13. And after they had left, the Angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said: “Get up, and take the young Child and His mother, and escape into Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod will search for the young Child to kill Him.”
14. When he woke up, he took the young Child and His mother by night, and departed into Egypt.
15. And he remained there until the death of Herod, so that the prophecy spoken by the prophet might be fulfilled, which says:
“I have called My Son out of Egypt.”
16. Then Herod, when he saw that he had been deceived by the wise men, became furious, and gave an order, and killed all the male children that were in Bethlehem and its surrounding regions, from two years old and younger, according to the time that he had carefully found out from the wise men.
17. Then the prophecy given by the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled, which says:
18. “A voice was heard in Ramah, of lamenting, and weeping and great mourning. This is Rachel, weeping for her children, and refusing to be comforted, because they are no longer alive.”
19. But when Herod had died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph, who was still in Egypt.
20. The angel said:
“Get up, and take the young Child and His mother and go into the land of Israel, for the people who wanted to kill the young Child are dead.”
21. And he arose, took the young Child and His mother and returned to the land of Israel.
22. But when he heard that Archelaus reigned in Judah in the place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Additionally, God warned him in a dream, so he turned aside and went into the regions of Galilee.
23. And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, so that the prophecy given by the prophets might be fulfilled, which says:
“He shall be called a Nazarene.”