matthew19.doc (17.0 KiB, 196 hits)
Matthew 19 is now also available as a free ebook from Smashwords in a variety of formats
Free Matthew 19 Ebook
Last updated 16th May 2012
1. When Jesus finished these sayings, He left Galilee and He went into the region of Judea beyond the Jordan.
2. And large crowds followed Him, and He healed them there.
3. And some Pharisees came to Him, testing Him and asking:
“Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?”
4. He said to them in reply:
“Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female?”
5. And He said:
“Because of this a man will leave his father and his mother and will be joined to his wife and the two will become one flesh.
6. So that they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore that which God has bound together let man not separate.”
7. They asked Him:
“Why then did Moses command to give her a certificate of divorce and to divorce her?”
8. He said to them:
“Moses because of the hardness of your heart permitted you to divorce your wives, from the beginning it did not happen like this.
9. I say to you that whoever divorces his wife except for sexual immorality and marries another commits adultery.”
10. His disciples said to Him:
“If this is the case regarding men and their wives, it would be better not to get married!”
11. Then He said to them:
“Not everyone can accept this teaching but only those to whom it has been granted.
12. For there are some eunuchs who were such from their mothers’ wombs, and there are some who have been made eunuchs by people, and there are some eunuchs who make themselves eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven. Let him accept this who is able to accept it.”
13. Then children were brought in to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray. But the disciples rebuked them.
14. But Jesus said:
“Leave the little children and do not forbid them to come to Me, for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.”
15. And He laid His hands on them and departed from there.
16. And behold, one came to Him saying:
“Master, what good thing should I do so that I might receive eternal life?”
17. He said to him:
“Why do you call Me good? Only one Person is good. If you wish to enter into eternal life, keep the commandments.”
18. He asked Him:
“Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bear false witness,
19. honour your father and your mother, and love your neighbour as yourself.”
20. The young man said to Him:
“I have kept all of these. What do I still lack?”
21. Jesus said to him:
“If you wish to be perfect, go and sell your possessions and give to the very poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven, and come and follow Me.”
22. Hearing this sentence the young man went away upset. For he had many possessions.
23. Jesus said to His disciples:
“Truly I say to you that a rich man will find it difficult to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
24. Again I say to you that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.”
25. Hearing this the disciples were greatly amazed asking:
“Who then can be saved?”
26. Jesus looked at them and said:
“With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
27. Then Peter answered Him in reply:
“Behold, we have left all things and have followed You. What reward will we receive?”
28. Jesus said to him:
“Truly I say to you that for you who follow Me in the regeneration, when the Son of Man is seated on the throne of His glory, you will also be seated on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
29. And everyone who leaves houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields on account of My name will receive one hundred times and will inherit eternal life.
30. And many who are first shall be last, and many who are last shall be first.”