Matthew 16 (16.5 KiB, 235 hits)
Last updated 24 April 2012
1. Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came to Him, testing Him, and demanding that He should show them a sign from Heaven.
Καὶ προσελθόντες οἱ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ Σαδδουκαῖοι πειράζοντες ἐπηρώτησαν αὐτὸν σημεῖον ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἐπιδεῖξαι αὐτοῖς.
3. And in the morning:
“It will be bad weather today, for the sky is red and gloomy.”
Indeed, you know how to assess the appearance of the sky, but you are not able to assess the signs of the times.
καὶ πρωΐ· σήμερον χειμών, πυρράζει γὰρ στυγνάζων ὁ οὐρανός. τὸ μὲν πρόσωπον τοῦ οὐρανοῦ γινώσκετε διακρίνειν, τὰ δὲ σημεῖα τῶν καιρῶν οὐ δύνασθε;
appearance – literally “face” – prosopon – πρόσωπον
4. An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.”
And He left them and departed.
γενεὰ πονηρὰ καὶ μοιχαλὶς σημεῖον ἐπιζητεῖ, καὶ σημεῖον οὐ δοθήσεται αὐτῇ εἰ μὴ τὸ σημεῖον Ἰωνᾶ. καὶ καταλιπὼν αὐτοὺς ἀπῆλθεν.
5. And the disciples went to the other side, and forgot to take bread.
Καὶ ἐλθόντες οἱ μαθηταὶ εἰς τὸ πέραν ἐπελάθοντο ἄρτους λαβεῖν.
6. Jesus said to them:
“Watch out for and beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν αὐτοῖς· ὁρᾶτε καὶ προσέχετε ἀπὸ τῆς ζύμης τῶν Φαρισαίων καὶ Σαδδουκαίων.
7. Then they discussed among themselves, saying:
“It is because we have not brought bread.”
οἱ δὲ διελογίζοντο ἐν ἑαυτοῖς λέγοντες ὅτι ἄρτους οὐκ έλάβομεν.
8. Knowing this Jesus said:
“Why do you discuss among yourselves, oh you of little faith, because you have no bread?
γνοὺς δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν· τί διαλογίζεσθε ἐν ἑαυτοῖς ὀλιγόπιστοι, ὅτι ἄρτους οὐκ ἔχετε;
9. Do you not know, and can you not remember the five loaves of bread for the five thousand and how many baskets you took up?
οὔπω νοεῖτε, οὐδὲ μνημονεύετε τοὺς πέντε ἄρτους τῶν πεντακισχιλίων καὶ πόσους κοφίνους ἐλάβετε;
11. How then do you not understand that I did not speak to you about bread, but to beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees?”
πῶς οὐ νοεῖτε ὅτι οὐ περὶ ἄρτων εἶπον ὑμῖν; προσέχετε δὲ ἀπὸ τῆς ζύμης τῶν Φαρισαίων καὶ Σαδδουκαίων.
12. Then they understood that He was not telling them to beware of the yeast of bread but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
τότε συνῆκαν ὅτι οὐκ εἶπεν προσέχειν ἀπὸ τῆς ζύμης τῶν ἄρτων ἀλλὰ ἀπὸ τῆς διδαχῆς τῶν Φαρισαίων καὶ Σαδδουκαίων.
13. Then Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi and He asked His disciples saying:
“Who do men say that the Son of Man is?”
Ἐλθὼν δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς εἰς τὰ μέρη Καισαρείας τῆς Φιλίππου ἠρώτα τοὺς μαθητὰς αὐτοῦ λέγων· τίνα λέγουσιν οἱ ἄνθρωποι εἰναι τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου;
14. They said to Him:
“Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, still others say Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
οἱ δὲ εἶπαν· οὶ μὲν Ἰωάννην τὸν βαπτιστήν, ἄλλοι δὲ Ἠλίαν, ἕτεροι δὲ Ἰερεμίαν ἢ ἕνα τῶν προφητῶν.
Elijah – Elian – Ἠλίαν
17. Jesus answered him in reply:
“You are blessed, Simon BarJonah, because flesh and blood have not revealed this to you but My Father who is in Heaven.
ἀποκριθεὶς δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν αὐτῷ· μακάριος εἶ, Σίμων Βαριωνᾶ, ὃτι σὰρξ καὶ αἷμα οὐκ ἀπεκάλυψεν σοι ἀλλ’ ὁ πατήρ μου ὁ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς.
BarJonah – or, son of Jonah – Bariona – Βαριωνᾶ – “bar” is a Hebrew/Aramaic prefix meaning “son of”, as “Blind Bartimaeus” was the son of Timaeus, and “Bar Mitzvah” means “Son of the Covenant”
blood – haima – αἷμα – like haematology, anaemic, haemophiliac
18. And I say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My Church, and the gates of Hades will not be able to overpower it.
καγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς.
Church – ekklesian – ἐκκλησίαν – like ecclesiastical
rock – petra – πέτρᾳ – a surface or layer of rock, as opposed to Petros (Peter), an individual stone or boulder. Jesus was not saying that He was going to build His church on Peter, but rather on the rock that He Jesus was the Son of God.
19. I will give to you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven, and whatever you bind on the earth will be bound in Heaven, and whatever you loose on the earth will be loosed in Heaven.”
δώσω σοι τὰς κλεῖδας τῆς βασιλείας τῶν οὐρανῶν, καὶ ὅ ἐὰν δήσῃς ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἔσται δεδεμένον ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς, καὶ ὅ ἐὰν λύσῃς ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἔσται λελυμένον ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς.
21. And then Jesus began to show to His disciples that He had to leave them to go into Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and the Chief Priests and the Scribes, and be killed and rise again on the third day.
Ἀπὸ τότε ἤρξατο ὁ Ἰησοῦς δεικνύειν τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ ὅτι δεῖ αὐτὸν εἰς Ἱεροσόλυμα ἀπελθεῖν καὶ πολλὰ παθεῖν ἀπὸ τῶν πρεσβυτέρων καὶ ἀρχιερέων καὶ γραμματέων καὶ ἀποκτανθῆναι καὶ τῇ τρίτῃ ἡμέρᾳ ἐγερθῆναι.
elders – presbuterion – πρεσβυτέρων – like presbytery, Presbyterian
22. And Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him saying:
“Never Lord. This shall not happen to You.”
καὶ προσλαβόμενος αὐτὸν ὁ Πἐτρος ἤρξατο ἐπιτιμᾶν αὐτῷ λέγων· ἵλεως σοι, κύριε· οὐ μὴ ἔσται σοι τοῦτο.
23. He turned to Peter and said:
“Get behind Me, Satan. You are a cause of offence to Me, because you do not think of the things of God but of the things of men.”
ὁ δὲ στραφεὶς εἶπεν τῷ Πέτρῳ· ὕπαγε ὀπίσω μου, σατανᾶ· σκάνδαλον εἶ ἐμοῦ, ὅτι οὐ φρονεῖς τὰ τοῦ θεοῦ ἀλλὰ τὰ τῶν ἀνθρώπων.
think – phroneis – φρονεῖς – or, you are not “mindful” – phronos = mind
24. Then Jesus said to His disciples:
“If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.
Τότε ὁ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ· εἴ τις θέλει ὀπίσω μου ἐλθεῖν, ἀπαρνησάσθω ἑαυτὸν καὶ ἀράτω τὸν σταυρὸν αὐτοῦ καὶ ἀκολουθείτω μοι.
25. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it. And whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
ὃς γὰρ ἐὰν θέλῃ τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ σῶσαι ἀπολέσει αὐτήν· ὃς δ’ ἂν ἀπολέσῃ τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ ἕνεκεν ἐμοῦ εὑρήσει αὐτήν·
26. For what profit will a man get if he should gain the whole world and yet lose his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
τί γὰρ ὠφεληθήσεται ἄνθρωπος ἐὰν τὸν κόσμον ὅλον κερδήσῃ τὴν δὲ ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ ζημιωθῇ; ἢ τί δώσει ἄνθρωπος ἀντάλλαγμα τῆς ψυχῆς αὐτοῦ;
27. For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each person according to his deeds.
μέλλει γὰρ ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ἔρχεσθαι ἐν τῇ δόξῃ τοῦ πατρὸς αὐτοῦ μετὰ τῶν ἀγγέλων αὐτοῦ, καὶ τότε ἀποδώσει ἑκάστῳ κατὰ τὴν πρᾶξιν αὐτοῦ.
28. Truly I say to you that there are certain people standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom.”
ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι εἰσίν τινες τῶν ὧδε ἑστώτων οἵτινες οὐ μὴ γεύσωνται θανάτου ἕως ἂν ἴδωσιν τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ἐρχόμενον ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ αὐτοῦ.