Matthew 10 (20.5 KiB, 197 hits)
Matthew 10 is now also available as a free ebook on Smashwords in a variety of Ebook formats
Free Matthew 10 Ebook
Last updated 11th April 2012
1. Then He called His twelve disciples to Him, and He gave them power to cast out evil spirits and to heal all kinds of sicknesses and all kinds of diseases.
2. The names of the twelve apostles are these: The first is Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
3. Philip and Bartholomew, Thomas, and Matthew the tax-collector; James the son of Alphaeus and Thaddaeus;
4. Simon from Canaan and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed Him.
5. Jesus sent these twelve men out, and commanded them saying:
“Do not go into the region of the Gentiles, and do not enter any Samaritan city.
6. But go rather to the lost sheep of the House of Israel.
7. And as you go, preach, saying:
“The Kingdom of Heaven is about to arrive!”
8. Heal the sick, heal lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons; you have received freely, so give freely.
9. Do not provide for yourselves gold, nor silver, nor brass coins in your money-pouches;
10. Nor a bag for your journey nor two tunics, nor sandals, and not even staffs, for the worker is worthy of his food.
11. And whenever you enter a city or town, enquire who in it is worthy, and stay with them until you leave that place.
12. And when you come to a house, greet it.
13. And if the house is worthy, let your blessings rest upon it; but if it is not worthy, let your blessings return to you.
14. And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, when you leave that house or city, shake the dust of that place off your feet.
15. I tell you the truth, the judgement day will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah than for that city.
16. Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. Therefore be as wise as snakes, and as harmless as doves.
17. But be careful about other people, for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will whip you in their synagogues.
18. And you will be brought in front of governors and kings because of Me. This will be a witness against them and the Gentiles.
19. But when they deliver you up, do not be anxious about how you should converse or what you should say, for what you should say will be given to you at that exact time.
20. For you are not the one speaking, but it is rather the Spirit of your Father who is speaking through you.
21. And one brother will deliver up his brother to death, and the father will deliver his child, and the children shall rise up against the parents and cause them to be put to death.
22. And you shall be hated by all people because of My name, but the person who endures to the end shall be saved.
23. Whenever they persecute you in this city, flee to the next one. For I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through all the cities of Israel before the Son of Man will come.
24. A disciple is not above his teacher nor is a slave above his master.
25. It is enough for the disciple that he should become like his teacher, and for the slave that he should become like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household.
26. Therefore do not be afraid of them. For there is nothing covered which shall not be revealed, and secret which shall not be be made known.
27. Whatever I tell you in darkness, speak this out in the light and declare on the housetops the things you hear in your ears.
28. And do not fear those people who kill the body, but do not have power to kill the spirit. Rather fear Him who has the power to destroy both spirit and body in hell.
29. Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And yet not one of these falls to the ground without your Father knowing about it.
30. But the hairs of your head are all numbered.
31. Therefore do not be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows.
32. Whoever therefore acknowledges Me before men, I will acknowledge him also before My Father who is in Heaven.
33. Whoever, however, disowns Me before men, I too will disown him before My Father who is in Heaven.
34. Do not think that I have come to bring peace on the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35. For I have come to set “a man against his father” and “a daughter against her mother” and “a bride against her mother-in-law”,
36. And “a person’s enemies will be those of their own household”.
37. Whoever loves their father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me, and whoever loves their son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
38. And whoever does not take up their cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
39. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life because of Me will find it.
40. Whoever receives you receives Me, and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me.
41. Whoever receives a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward. And whoever receives a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward.
42. And if anyone gives one of the least of these disciples a drink of cold water in the name of a disciple, I tell you the truth, he will not lose his reward.”