Matthew 1 (17.0 KiB, 229 hits)
Last updated 30th March 2012
1. The book of the ancestry of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the son of Abraham.
Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβρααμ.
“Ancestry” is literally “beginning” in Greek – γενέσεως– “geneseos”. This is a grammatical variation of the same word as “Genesis” – “The Beginning”
“book” – Biblos – Βίβλος – The root of the word “Bible” In Greek it means simply “book”, literally “two (Bi) – fold (Blos)”
Actually, this is wrong – please see apology and correction – Biblos might come from the name of a Phoenician port, “Byblos”, from which Egyptian papyrus for scrolls was exported to Greece: Wikipedia article
2. Abraham was the father of Isaac, and Isaac was the father of Jacob, and Jacob was the father of Judah and his brothers;
Ἀβραὰμ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰσαάκ, Ισαὰκ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰακώβ, Ἰακὼβ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰούδαν καὶ τοὺς άδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ,
“Was the father of“”egennesen” – ἐγέννησεν – = began, produced, fathered.
3. Judah was the father of Perez and Zerah through Tamar, and Perez was the father of Hezron, and Hezron was the father of Ram.
Ἰούδας δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Φαρὲς καὶ τὸν Ζαρὰ ἐκ τῆς Θάμαρ, Φαρὲς δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἐσρώμ Ἐσρὼμ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἀράμ
Judah = “Joudas” – Ἰούδας,
4. Ram was the father of Amminadab, Amminadab was the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon was the father of Salmon.
Ἀρὰμ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἀμιναδάβ Ἀμιναδὰβ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ναασσών, Ναασσὼν δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Σαλμών,
Amminadab= Aminadab (single “M”) Ἀμιναδὰβ
5. Salmon was the father of Boaz by Rahab, Boaz was the father of Obed by Ruth, Obed was the father of Jesse,
Σαλμὼν δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Βοὲς ἐκ τῆς Ραχαβ Βοὲς δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰωβὴδ ἐκ τῆς Ρούθ Ἰωβὴδ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰεσσαὶ,
Boaz = Boes = Βοὲς
Rahab = Rachab = Ραχαβ
Obed = Iobed = Ἰωβὴδ
Ruth = Routh = Ρούθ
6. Jesse was the father of David who became the king. David was the father of Solomon, by her who had been the wife of Uriah.
Ἰεσσαὶ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Δαυὶδ τὸν βασιλέα. Δαυὶδ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Σολομῶνα ἐκ τῆς τοῦ Οὐρίου,
Jesse = Iessai = Ἰεσσαὶ
“by her who had been the wife of Uriah” – Literally – “from her of Uriah” – “ek tes tou Ouriou” – ἐκ τῆς τοῦ Οὐρίου.
7. Solomon was the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam was the father of Abijah, and Abijah was the father of Asa.
Σολομὼν δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν ‘Ροβοάμ ‘Ροβοαμ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἀβιά Ἀβιὰ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἀσάφ,
Rehoboam = Rhoboam ‘Ροβοάμ,
Abijah=Abia Ἀβιά ;
8. Asa was the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat was the father of Joram, and Joram was the father of Uzziah.
Ἀσὰφ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰωσαφάτ Ἰωσαφὰτ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰωράμ Ἰωρὰμ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ὀζίαν,
Jehoshaphat= Iosaphat = Ἰωσαφάτ
9. Uzziah was the father of Jotham, Jotham was the father of Ahaz, and Ahaz was the father of Hezekiah.
Ὀζίας δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰωαθάμ Ἰωαθὰμ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἄχας Ἄχας δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἐζεκίαν,
Uzziah = Ozias =Ὀζίας
Jotham = Ioatham = Ἰωαθάμ
Ahaz = Achas = Ἄχας
10. Hezekiah was the father of Manasseh, Manasseh was the father of Amon, and Amon was the father of Josiah.
Ἐζεκίας δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Μανασσῆ Μανασσῆς δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἀμώς Ἀμὼς δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰωσίαν,
Manasseh = Manasses = Μανασσῆς
Amon = Amos = Ἀμὼς
11. Josiah was the father of Jeconiah and his brothers, about the time they were carried away to Babylon.
Ἰωσίας δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰεχονίαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ τῆς μετοικεσίας βαβυλῶνος.
“they were carried away” = literally = change of residence, deportation – metoikesias – μετοικεσίας
12. After they were brought to Babylon, Jeconiah was the father of Shealtiel, and Shealtiel was the father of Zerubbabel.
Μετὰ δὲ τὴν μετοικεσίαν βαβυλῶνος Ἰεχονίας ἐγέννησεν τὸν Σαλαθιήλ Σαλαθιὴλ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ζοροβάβελͺ.
Shealtiel = Salathiel – Σαλαθιὴλ
13. Zerubbabel was the father of Abiud, and Abiud was the father of Eliakim, and Eliakim was the father of Azor..
Ζοροβάβελ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἀβιούδ, Ἀβιοὺδ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἐλιακίμ, Ἐλιακὶμ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἀζώρ,
15. Eliud was the father of Eleazar, and Eleazar was the father of Matthan, and Matthan was the father of Jacob.
Ἐλιοὺδ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἐλεάζαρ Ἐλεάζαρ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ματθάν Ματθὰν δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰακώβ,
Jacob = Iacob = Ἰακώβ
When this name appears in the New Testament in reference to people from the Old Testament or before the time of Jesus, it is translated by convention as Jacob. However, when the name with the same Greek spelling appears in reference to New Testament characters, it is translated by English convention as James.
I suspect that this is because the English translation of the Bible was originally sponsored by a certain King James, so “James” was originally adopted for the New Testament “Jacob” name to honour him, and this has now become the convention. James is apparently a legitimate variant of the name Jacob. However, all this is my own personal opinion. Apparently, there is actually a 14th Century English translation of the Bible using the name “James” in the New Testament, so this may also have been the source of this practice
16. And Jacob was the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, from whom was born Jesus, who is called the Christ.
Ἰακὼβ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰωσὴφ τὸν ἄνδρα Μαρίας ἐξ ἧς ἐγέννηθη Ἰησοῦς ὁ λεγόμενος χριστός.
17. So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations, and from the carrying away into Babylon until the Christ are fourteen generations.
Πᾶσαι οὖν αἱ γενεαὶ ἀπὸ Ἀβραὰμ ἕως Δαυὶδ γενεαὶ δεκατέσσαρες καὶ ἀπὸ Δαυὶδ ἕως τῆς μετοικεσίας βαβυλῶνος γενεαὶ δεκατέσσαρες καὶ ἀπὸ τῆς μετοικεσίας βαβυλῶνος ἕως τοῦ Χριστοῦ γενεαὶ δεκατέσσαρες.
18. Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary was betrothed to be married to Joseph, before they were fully married she was found to be expecting a Child by the work of the Holy Spirit.
τοῦ δὲ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ ἡ γένεσις οὕτως ἦν μνηστευθείσης τῆς μητρὸς αὐτοῦ Μαρίας τῷ Ἰωσήφ πρὶν ἢ συνελθεῖν αὐτοὺς εὑρέθη ἐν γαστρὶ ἔχουσα ἐκ πνεύματος ἁγίου.
“the birth“- he genesis – ἡ γένεσις – the beginning
“they were fully married” – in Greek, literally “they came together” – ἢ συνελθεῖν αὐτοὺς
“by the work of the Holy Spirit” = in Greek, simply “by the Holy Spirit” – ek pneumatos hagiou – ἐκ πνεύματος ἁγίου
19. Then Joseph her betrothed husband, being a decent man, and not willing to make her a public example, decided to divorce her quietly.
Ἰωσὴφ δὲ ὁ ἀνὴρ αὐτῆς δίκαιος ὢν καὶ μὴ θέλων αὐτὴν δειγματίσαι ἐβουλήθη λάθρᾳ ἀπολῦσαι αὐτήν.
betrothed husband = in the Greek, this simply reads “husband” = aner = ἀνὴρ However, it is appropriate to add “betrothed” here for clarification, as verse 18 has just told us that Mary and Joseph were still betrothed, and had not yet fully come together.
20. But while he considered these things, behold, the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream saying:
“Joseph, O descendant of David, do not be reluctant to fully marry Mary your wife, as the Child she is carrying has been conceived through the Holy Spirit.
ταῦτα δὲ αὐτοῦ ἐνθυμηθέντος ἰδοὺ ἄγγελος κυρίου κατ’ ὄναρ ἐφάνη αὐτῷ λέγων· Ἰωσὴφ υἱὸς Δαυὶδ, μὴ φοβηθῇς παραλαβεῖν Μαρίαν τὴν γυναῖκα σου· τὸ γὰρ ἐν αὐτῇ γεννηθὲν ἐκ πνεύματος ἐστιν ἁγίου.
“descendant of David“= in the Greek, this reads “son of David” “uios David” = υἱὸς Δαυὶδ
21. And she will give birth to a Son, and you will call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.“
τέξεται δὲ υἱόν, καὶ καλέσεις τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ἰησοῦν· αὐτὸς γὰρ σώσει τὸν λαὸν αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν αὐτῶν.
JESUS – in the Greek, the name Jesus is not here specially emphasised, but it is here emphasised in the translation as a conventional practice
22. Now all this was done, so that the word spoken by the Lord and given through the prophet might be fulfilled saying:
τοῦτο δὲ ὅλον γέγονεν ἵνα πληρωθῇ τὸ ῥηθὲν ὑπὸ κυρίου διὰ τοῦ προφήτου λέγοντος·
23. ““Behold, a virgin shall expect a Child, and shall give birth to a Son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel”, which is translated: “God with us”.
ἰδοὺ ἡ παρθένος ἐν γαστρὶ ἔξει καὶ τέξεται υἱὸν, καὶ καλέσουσιν τὸ ὅνομα αὐτοῦ Ἐμμανουηλ, ὅ ἐστιν μεθερμηνευόμενον μεθ’ ἡμῶν ὁ θεός.
Emmanuel = Ἐμμανουηλ
24. Then Joseph awoke from sleep and followed the instructions of the Angel of the Lord and fully married his wife.
ἐγερθεὶς δὲ ὁ Ἰωσὴφ ἀπὸ τοῦ ὕπνου ἐποίησεν ὡς προσέταξεν αὐτῷ ὁ ἄγγελος κυρίου καὶ παρέλαβεν τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ,
“fully married his wife“- literally this means “took to himself his wife” “parelaben ten gunaika autou” παρέλαβεν τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ
25. And he did not sleep with her until she had given birth to her Son, and he called His name JESUS.
καὶ οὐκ ἐγίνωσκεν αὐτὴν ἕως οὗ ἔτεκεν υἱόν· καὶ ἐκάλεσεν τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ἰησοῦν.
sleep with her= “know her” “eginosken auten” – ἐγίνωσκεν αὐτὴν