Mark 5 (20.0 KiB, 217 hits)
Last updated 20th April 2012
1. And He crossed over onto the other side of the sea into the country of the Gergasenes.
2. And when He had come out of the boat immediately a man with an evil spirit, coming from the tombs, met Him.
3. He lived among the tombs, and and no-one was able to bind him with chains any longer.
4. For several times he had been bound with leg-shackles and chains and he had pulled the chains apart and he had broken the leg-shackles into pieces. And no-one was strong enough to overpower him.
5. And throughout the night and the day he was in the tombs and in the mountains crying out and cutting himself with stones.
6. And seeing Jesus from a distance he ran and worshipped Him
7. and crying out with a loud voice he said: “What do I have to do with You, Jesus Son of the most High God? I appeal to You in the name of God that You do not torture me!”
8. For He said to him: “Evil spirit, come out of the man!”
9. And He asked him: “What is your name?” And he said to Him: “Legion is my name, because we are many.”
10. And they begged Him greatly that He should not send them outside the country.
11. There was near the mountain a large herd of pigs feeding.
12. And they begged Him saying: “Send us into the pigs, so that we may enter them.”
13. And He sent them. And the evil spirits went out and entered into the pigs and the herd ran wildly over the cliff into the sea, about two thousand of them, and drowned in the sea.
14. And those who fed them fled and reported it in the city and in the fields. And they came to see what had happened.
15. And they came to Jesus and saw the formerly demon-possessed man who had had the legion sitting clothed and sane, and they were frightened.
16. And those who had seen it described to them what had happened to the demon-possessed man and the pigs.
17. And they began to beg Him to leave their regions.
18. And as He went into the boat the formerly demon-possessed man begged to be with Him.
19. And He did not allow him, but said to him: “Go into your house to your family and declare to them the things which the Lord has done for you and how He has had mercy on you.”
20. And he went and began to preach in Decapolis the things which Jesus had done for him, and they were all amazed.
21. And when Jesus had again crossed over to the other side a large crowd gathered together around Him, and He was by the sea.
22. And one of the leaders of the synagogue, called Jairus, came to Him, and fell towards His feet when he saw Him,
23. And begged him greatly saying: “My daughter is dying, please come and lay Your hands on her so that she may be healed and she will live.”
24. And He went with him. And a large crowd followed Him and pressed around Him.
25. And there was a woman who had had a flow of blood for twelve years
26. and suffered many things from many doctors and spent all her money and did not get better but rather grew worse.
27. When she heard about Jesus, she went into the crowd, came behind Him and touched His clothes.
28. For she said: “If only I could touch His clothes I will be healed.”
29. And immediately the source of her blood dried up and she knew in her body that she was healed of her condition.
30. And immediately Jesus knew in Himself that power had gone out of Him and He turned around in the crowd and asked: “Who touched My clothes?”
31. And His disciples said to Him: “You see the crowd pressing in on You and yet You ask “Who touched Me?”!”
32. And He looked around to see who had done it.
33. The woman was afraid and trembling, knowing what had happened to her, and she came and fell before Him and told Him the whole truth.
34. He said to her: “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be healed from your condition.”
35. While He was still speaking some people came from the home of the leader of the synagogue saying: “Your daughter has died. Why do you still bother the master?”
36. Jesus overheard the message that was given and said to the leader of the synagogue: “Do not be afraid, only believe.”
37. And He did not allow anybody to accompany Him except Peter and James and John the brother of James.
38. And they went into the house of the leader of the synagogue, and they saw the chaotic crowd and the mourning-women weeping and wailing loudly.
39. He came inside and said to them: “Why do you make this noise and cry? The child has not died but is sleeping.”
40. And they laughed at Him. He sent them all out and took with Him the father and the mother of the child and those with Him and they entered where the child was.
41. And He took hold of the hand of the child and said to her: “Talitha Coum”, which is translated: “Little girl, I saw to you, arise.”
42. And immediately the little girl came back to life and walked around. For she was twelve years old. And they were immediately greatly amazed.
43. And He commanded them that no-one should know this, and He said that they should give her something to eat.